Thursday, May 10, 2007

under estimating ourselves

As a stay-at-home-mom, I have days that I get lonely and feel useless, uninspired and non-efficient. I'm sure everyone else has been there also from time to time. Even though we are surrounded by our kids, we need adult conversation. Some nights Tim just wants to come home and unwind and doesn't say much or finds a project to do. Then I really feel alone. At these times Satan has us exactly where he wants us.

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Many times we allow the devil to devour us. We may feel in despair because we feel like our lives are "stuck in a rut". A little over two years ago, God told me to trust him on selling our house and leaving the town we live in. We have been wondering nomads for the last two years...unsettled and waiting. Even though I know in my heart that God has us here for a reason, lately I have let the devil convince me that we are "losers". By that I mean, it feels like we can't get it together. But truly, I know that God has taught me many lessons and saved us from many turmoils during these last two years. The Israelites wonder in the desert for 40 years so I've got nothing on them. We do have victory over Satan in Jesus!

Then the seventy [disciples] returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.” And He [Jesus] said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven.” Luke 10:17-20

I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death. Revelations 1:18

The above verse gives me comfort every time a hear it.

Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren (Satan), who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down.
Revelations 12:10

Satan only has the power that God has allowed him to have. It is up to us to look to God when we enter into these stressful times and not let Satan take over. A good friend once told me that the devil hates it when we raise our hand to the heavens and praise God. Yes, the more we press into Jesus, Satan will come back and try to convince us that we are not worthy, we are alone, and I have even had instances where the devil will attach the people around me to make me life harder. He messes with my mind all the time. But we must press on and continue to praise God and thank him every day for the blessings that he has given us.

I am also guilty of not utilizing my time for prayer. I get so caught up in my daily tasks and forget that there are others in need. I don't forget about God during my day, but I really should make more time for him.

You will make your prayer to Him, He will hear you, And you will pay your vows. Job 22:27

When there is famine in the land, pestilence or blight or mildew, locusts or grasshoppers; when their enemies besiege them in the land of their cities; whatever plague or whatever sickness there is; whatever prayer, whatever supplication is made by anyone, or by all Your people Israel, when each one knows his own burden and his own grief, and spreads out his hands to this temple: then hear from heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive, and give to everyone according to all his ways, whose heart You know (for You alone know the hearts of the sons of men), that they may fear You, to walk in Your ways as long as they live in the land which You gave to our fathers. 2 Chronicles 6:28-31

Then the LORD appeared to Solomon by night, and said to him: “I have heard your prayer, and have chosen this place for Myself as a house of sacrifice. When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:12-14

When we seek God he chooses to live in us. He makes our hearts and bodies his dwelling place or "house of sacrifice". So we must keep on and know that we are not alone in this spiritual battle, and remember stay in prayer with God every day so that the devil cannot wallow in victory over us!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Well said!!! We too have experienced the nomad/loser mentality. It was the most difficult season of our lives - but God is faithful and has the Masterplan. We need only to cling to Him and wait out the storm.

You and Tim will find your resting place and get settled soon. Just think - if you hadn't been where you are now you would have never stayed home with Ruben. That's just one good point from the difficult season you all are in - I'm sure there are many, many more if you think about it.

I love the passages you selected - very encouraging!!! It is so easy to forget the spiritual battle when things get difficult. With Him we can never lose - or become the loser.

I Loved this post!