Sunday, May 06, 2007

baking soda is a friend of mine

I have been reading about all the uses of baking soda. In fact my mom loaned me a book with over 500 uses for baking soda called Baking Soda by Vicki Lansky. I am amazed what this product can do. I have tried a few things with baking soda. I sprinkle it on wet cloth diapers to absorb the odor until I wash them. Friday I cleaned the bath room with baking soda and water. If you create a paste by adding a small amount of water it easily rubs off soap scum and doesn't leave a scratchy residue like Commet. In the past I have scrubbed and scrubbed the bath tub with harsh chemicals wondering how anyone ever gets that sparkling bath tub. Tim used to give me a hard time about using the harsh chemical cleaners, but all I knew to tell him was "I have to clean the bathroom." I still use my disinfecting wipes to clean the toilet. This product is a very cheap life saver, but I would not recommend using it to brush your teeth on a daily basis because it made my gums very sore.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Rather than sprinking each wet diaper you could put a bit in the bottom of your diaper pail and just toss in the diapers in as usual.

I'm with Mom on the teeth brushing. I draw the line at toothpaste!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, great idea. I also use the harsh chemicals: cleaner w/bleach for my tub, sink, etc. I'll have to give the baking soda a try as the chemical kind of bother me and my son always wonders in when I'm cleaning and "helps." So, I was actually wanting to look up "green" cleaners soon. So, thank you for your post!!!!

Mon said...

If I ever came into a large sum of money I would budget someone else to clean my bathroom(s). That is the one room in the house that I hate to clean.

Lori said...

Cleaning the toilet can be very rewarding. The only task in our household I hate is putting away the clean dishes from the dishwasher. Can you believe that?!?!?! I feel like I'm constantly doing dishes when I'm loading AND unloading. Putting the dishes in is no big deal...
weird, right?!?

Lori said...

Wierd or weird...i before e except after c...but it looks wrong to me.

Mon said...

I believe you were right the first time Lori.