Monday, May 21, 2007

follow-up...no time to lose

I went to my future sister-in-law's wedding shower this past weekend. It was very nice, but I think I under dressed a little. My family does things pretty casual, but it seems that hers likes to dress up a little. I saw her sister for the first time since high school (9 years ago). She looked great. It made me feel a little sloppy. I take care of myself a lot better than I did in high school, but I need to add a little more effort.
As a result, I am going to crack down on eating healthier. I don't eat much meat just because it's not to my liking. I eat too much bread and carbohydrates. I would like to find recipes that incorporate more veggies to eat for my lunches. Maybe I could find casseroles that include simple veggies. Please add to my comments your favorite recipes, web sites or books that would help me.
This is not the end. After worrying for a day, my mother-in-law reassured me that everyone has their own style. I should be who I am (which I am comfortable with for the most part except for the added weight), but use this as a motivation to keep up with my goals. She's right! My goal is to get close to my high school weight...has been for 5 years now. One phrase I remember is "You thought you were fat in high school, but looking back you weren't near as fat as you thought you were."

3 comments:

Lori said...

Look up the Zone diet. They mentioned it in this TLC program Brian forced me to watch (okay, so I was in the room while he watched so I was "forced"). It was about the fattest man in world. Anyway - the zone diet balances fruits and veggies with proteins. All about proportions.
I don't have any good recipes or anything for now. I'm sick on the couch and using my brain too much will suck the energy I have in reserve for the kids today.
As for the D family. They are a little more fancy than the usual crowd within our family. I'm pretty casual myself. Just think - Karen may have gone home feeling way overdressed for the occasion!!! I agree with Mom - be yourself...and in addition, remember that "style" doesn't equal identity. What matters is the hidden person of the heart - and what pleases God. Meeting up with people from high school can somehow bring you back to the shallow scale of values - and we're all grown up now.
Forget what is behind and look forward - even with your weight. Why have a past weight as a goal? Why not make a NEW goal that fits within your life now?

Elizabeth said...

We are strangely the same. Any chance a long lost twin? LOL Honey, I am the definition of underdressed-wish-I-could-look-more-trendy.
However, I do agree w/Lori and say "be yourself." It is all a shallow scale of values! Sometimes I do like to dress up. I went to a ladies tea at church and I put on a nice hand me down stapless dress w/a button up sweater (for modesty!) and a neighbor kid rode up on her bike and exclaimed, "Where are you going Miss E!". Dress up for fun and for your (or DHs LOL) pleasure. Your beautiful and don't need a trendy outfit to shine. Of course, I love the hippie look sometimes - I admit (the clean hippie look that is)!
One way to get your veggies and fruit quota is by making sure you have those snacks available. My midwife told me to cut up veggies and fruits and have them handy in the fridge so they were just as easy to reach for as a bowl of cereal or granola bar. I was also told by my doc and midwife to always eat a bowl of salad a day - even if it is a small bowl.
One of our favorite healthy dinners is just to chop up Romaine lettuce and toss w/a dressing (get Lori's recipe for oil and vinegar w/honey). Grill some chicken and season just w/salt and pepper, slice it up and stick on top. You can also cut up some cherry tomatoes or throw on whole(so sweet and juicy). We bought a economy pack of chicken breast and seasoned it w/salt and pepper and grilled the whole thing on Sunday. I am using it for recipes all this week!
When I make dinner, say whole wheat pasta w/homemade marinara I will also make sure I steam one or two veggies to serve with it. I always make myself eat the veggies first and then have my pasta. No matter what I cook: meatloaf, etc I always will steam frozen veggies (which are frozen at the peak of ripeness so VERY healthy - better than most fresh in grocery store).
I know you can't rid your house of all unhealthy snacks but convienence really is the key to healthy eating; especially w/little ones around.
For beverages I don't drink soda, fruit juice, etc. I try and drink water or I will buy seltzer (zero cal) and squeeze lemon or add just a tad of juice. I do have a cup of coffee or two a day w/cream and sugar (my weakness). So, I make sure the rest of my day I have low/no calorie drinks.
As I come accross healthy recipes I will try and send them our way!

Mon said...

Ok. So I saw some pictures today of the shower. I may have over reacted (not me!). I really don't look that bad and have come a long way from high school. Of course! We don't dress like we did 10 years ago...or at least a lot of us. I will just continue to working on losing a few lbs for my own good and the good of my family.