Thursday, May 03, 2007

prefold alterations

I had successfully sewn a diaper from Lori's pattern. They are great diapers, but it takes too long to make them. I need to start using cloth now so I can save $$$. I can't stand pinning cloth and I don't like the bulkiness so I decided to alter my prefolds. Today I completed my first dozen. Ruben has not had a big poop in them yet so they are still under testing stages.


I sewed on velcro and four layers of material (that I had on hand) in the middle to front for extra absorbency. I then folded in the the middle edges that fit around the inner leg and sewed them in place. This takes away the bulkiness and helps trap leaks.


4 comments:

Lori said...

Monica, those look amazing!!! They fit great around his legs and waist. WHATTHEHECK!!! You made a great diaper! - and the velco on the front is perfect. NO PINS! I'm sure you won't have any problems with leaks or blowouts. Great job, girl! I think I may do the quick modification with my large prefolds for Sophie. Thanks for posting pictures.

Elizabeth said...

I am equally impressed. It makes me wish I didn't order such HUGE prefolds for Corban. The first cloth diaper purchase I made was a few dozen prefolds: almost half were toddler pf's.... they need fabric cut from them as they swamp Corban (very bulky). However, I hate to cut into them b/c I am clueless about sewing.

Elizabeth said...

ps That is a really nice looking quilt that your baby is modeling on! : - )

Mon said...

Pictures can be deceiving...
That quilt is my ragged out bed comforter. I got it for Mother's Day right after Makayla was born. I begged Tim for a new bed set about 6 months ago, but since I became cheep I figured it could last me a few more years.