Sunday, April 22, 2007

homemade laundry detergent

I washed the same load of laundry in the following homemade detergent and Tide (my favorite store bought). Both loads washed out the same so I believe the recipe below works just as good as store bought detergent.

Items you will need:
~ Water
~ 2 gallon bucket
~ 2/3 Fels Naptha soap, grated (or any bath bar soap, beauty bar or deodorant soap can be substituted)
~ 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (do not use Baking Soda)
~ 1 cup Borax (laundry detergent)

Notes:
~ Fels Naptha soap and Washing Soda can be found in the laundry detergent isle. I had to go to my local grocery stores to find these. My Walmart and Target do not carry them.
~ Also, I use a 5 gallon bucket because I could not find a 2 gallon bucket. I measured and marked the inside of the bucket to 2 gallons (about 6.5 inches down from the top) with a permanent marker so I knew where to fill the water to.
~ I use a cheese grater to grate the soap. Tim likes to chop the soap finely with a knife on a cutting board which melts better.

Directions:
~ Mix 2/3 grated bar of Fels Naptha soap in pan with 12 cups (6 pints) water.
~ Heat low on stovetop until dissolved.
~ Stir in Washing Soda and Borax.
~ After mixture thickens, remove from heat.
~ Add 8 cups (1 quart) of hot water to the bucket.
~ Add soap mixture and mix well.
~ Add hot water to fill up the bucket (or to the 2 gallon mark on your 5 gallon bucket).
~ Set aside for 24 hours for mixture to thicken.

Yields: 2 gallons or 64 loads

Use:
~ 1/2 cup per load (stir before each use)

Note: You can cut the ingredient measurements in half and pure the soap into a 1 gallon jug. Shake the jug before using.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever find a two gallon bucket?

Mon said...

I haven't look in other places other than Walmart yet. I am going to check out Westlakes or Lowes the next time we go there. It should motivate Tim because I told him he could have my 5 gallon bucket for his flint rocks after I find a 2 gallon bucket.

Mon said...

I want to report that it's been about a month since I started using this homemade detergent. I works great! I even wash my cloth diapers with it and everything comes out very clean. I would highly recommend replacing this with your store-bought detergent.

Anna P said...

Hi there, I just read this post and wanted to affirm what you say about this soap. I have made this for several months and it works fine. I have recently started making a powder version of this (out of laziness) and I really like it as well. It only takes a tablespoon and you dissolve it before you add your dirty clothes! Cheers!

monicarmann@gmail.com said...

Thanks for the comment Anna. I love to hear feedback. It's always nice to now that there are other's out there who enjoy frugal ideas. Do you have any stain remover ideas? I have spotted dawn dish soap on my stains, but that doesn't always work.

Anna P said...

I don't yet...I am planning to use the Fels Naptha bar soap. It seems pretty easy.