Sunday, April 22, 2007

homemade baby wipes

Supplies:
1 roll Paper towels with smaller sections
1 T. Baby oil
2 T. Baby shampoo or baby bath
2 - 2 1/2 cups Water
1 container with lid (old baby wipes or Rubbermaid container works well)

Note:
Use good quality paper towels like Bounty or they will fall apart...I know from experience when I tried to use Viva brand.

Directions:
~ Bring water to boil on stovetop and let cool to room temperature.
~ Pull half (about 77) of the paper towel sections off individually (one roll of paper towels will make two containers of wipes).
~ Fold each paper towel section into a tri-fold like an accordian or whatever fold works best for the container you are using.
~ Place the towels in the container.
~ Once the water reaches room temperature, stir in the baby shampoo and baby oil.
~ Pour the water over the towels and let set for a little while.
~ Then flip the container over so the water can absorb evenly.
~ Add more water if neccessary, but do not add more shampoo or oil. This would make the wipes to soapy...which I also learned the hard way.

Note:
If you think pulling each towel sheet individually is too tidious, you can cut the paper towel roll in half with a very sharp knife. Pour the water mixture over the towels and then pull the soggy card board roll out of the middle. When I tried cutting the roll, I made a huge mess. It's easier for me to pull and fold the towels individually when I am talking on the phone or watching TV.

Yeilds: about 77 wipes in a container

Cost Breakdown:
Paper towels
*Cost: $1.96
*Amount in package: 154
*Amount needed for recipe: 77
*Equation uses per package: 154 /77 = 2
*Equation cost: $1.96/2 = $0.98
Baby oil
*Cost: $1.77
*Amount in package: 20 oz.
*Amount needed for recipe: 1 T. (0.5 oz.)
*Equation uses per package: 20 oz. /0.5 oz. = 40
*Equation cost: $1.77/40 = $0.04
Baby Shampoo
*Cost: $1.52
*Amount in package: 20 oz.
*Amount needed for recipe: 2 T. (1 oz.)
*Equation uses per package: 20 oz. /1 oz. = 20
*Equation cost: $1.52/20 = $0.08
Water
*Cost: not enough to be a cost factor

Homemade baby wipes (container of 77):
$1.10 ($0.01 per wipe)

Parent’s Choice newborn wipes (container of 77):

$2.17 ($0.03 per wipe)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should calculate how much I pay per wipe for the Pampers wipes!!!

Mon said...

I think Pampers are over $2 per container of 77. I used Pampers until I discovered Parent's Choice for Newborns which are soft like Pampers but cheaper.

Mon said...

I meant over $3 for Pamper's wipes.

Elizabeth said...

Pampers schmampers I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the Huggies! however, I soon will be using cloth wipes... am I crazy? Do these tree huggin hippies expect me to wipe toddler poop off w/a washcloth? GROSS!

Mon said...

I was think about using a wash coth for pee only. The downside is that it's much easier to reach into a wipe box then plan to wet a wash cloth before you get started. I am a convenience person which I believe I can incorporate into my frugal life.

Anonymous said...

When Isaac was a baby I had a little spray bottle of baby wipe solution that I carried with me in the diaper bag...not that I went anywhere...
Anyway, it worked great to wet his butt, then wipe. Baby seems to appreciate a warm, wet wipe when at home. Rather than a wash cloth, I used flannel wipes since they were softer and better for repeated uses on sensitive skin.
Now, we are beginning again..and man, Jack is a pooper and Sophia is toying with potty training. I'll need a lot of wipes.

Mon said...

Hey ladies - Just keep in mind that you have to go through this poop thing with training pants while potty training so starting with diapers isn't so bad.