Friday, December 28, 2007

beginner knitter

For some reason, I have been thinking a lot lately about learning to knit. Maybe I saw a knitting blog. I purchased a pair of needing kniddles...uh, I mean knitting needles (it's like a tongue twister), and practiced watching online tutorials. I gave up quickly. I turned my back on knitting, and purchased a crochet hook. I like the finished look of knitting better, but decided that crocheting must be easier. I practiced crocheting for a few days and planned to stick with it until...I received a knitting kit as a Christmas present from Lori, my sister-in-law. I didn't get it directly.

We played a gift exchange game while reading the Christmas story. Everyone brought an inexpensive or homemade gift for their gender and drew a word that was in the Christmas story. When a person's word was read they were able to open a gift from the pile or trade with some else. It was Angie's, my sister-in-law, great idea to play this game. My gift was a plastic storage tub. Tim thought it would be too practical, but it was a big hit. I just bought something I could use myself.

Back to knitting. The next day, I went to my sister's house for Christmas. After talking with my brother-in-law and watching him knit a little (he's making a beautiful queen size blanket for his bed), I was ready to get going on knitting again. Sometimes, I think it takes seeing someone do something a particular way and it clicks. He made it look easier than the tutorials. I then spent the next day and a half working on a pocket purse for Makayla.


I am now practicing on a sunglasses case from my kit. I have a request list growing. Maybe I will post pictures as I complete the projects. My goal to knit socks. Well, I will be off to the library to look for patterns.

2 comments:

Lori said...

A project done already?!?!?! You make me sick!
Can I have a purse for Sophia? =)

Mon said...

I will put you on my waiting list which is growing quickly. You get the yarn you want me to use and we'll talk purse style. So far my list is...
Michael - black cap
Tim - flap cap
Makayla - scarf
Cheryl - sunglasses case, cell phone sock
Sophia - purse

Your Mom, Angie and I went to Michael's today. They are having a 30% off sale on yarn and accessories. Angie bought some yarn and needles, and I am helping her learn how to knit tonight. Wish you were here too!