Saturday, August 25, 2007

help for new homeschoolers

It is hard for new homeschoolers to get started. I have had some great help from others, and feel it's important to share with others.

  1. Your state web site should have guidelines, but mine weren't explanatory enough for me.
  2. I attended a homeschooling conference about 2 months ago. See my post on homschooling. Even though it was still somewhat confusing when I left, I came home with more information about curriculum than I ever needed, and I had a lot more confidence.
  3. I have been asking a lot of questions from those who have been homeschooling for a few years or so. These people are the walking knowledge homeschooling. There is no better place to find out how to get started, and they love to help because they are passionate about homeschooling. The following are some links I have acquired from them.
  • The Home School Legal Defense Association is packed with information. I found a useful article about contacting your school system here. Take a look, especially Elizabeth...this site falls under your research analysis. http://www.hslda.org/ads.asp
  • Vegsource.com is where I bought my first used cirriculum: http://vegsource.com/homeschool/
  • DonnaYoung.org provides you with useful forms such as calendars, logging, lessons plans, etc. http://www.donnayoung.org/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The biggest help I got when I was a new homeschooler (I guess by some measures I'm still new!) was that it's not as hard as you think it will be. Teaching children is easy. They love to learn. Figuring out how to do it, trying new things, experimenting, adjusting -- is FUN. Homeschooling is easy and fun -- that was the best "advice" I got -- and it turned out to be true. It's not a duty, or an obligation, or a job -- it's actually very entertaining.

Lydia Netzer said...

Woops -- I forgot my son was still logged in on this computer. :) :) :)

Elizabeth said...

I am so glad I get to read and hear from you and Lori about your experiences! I also have several neighbors that homeschool and I am so thankful I know people fairly well who I can ask all my questions of.

Even among my neighbors there is such a variety of methods.