Monday, August 20, 2007

bargains & quilts

Saturday, we went to visit my sister. We took the long way and stopped by the Amish store. I love that place! You can get almost everything you need there, and the price is right. I have been putting off buying orange peel from Walmart because it cost over $5. I got more quantity from the Dutch Bakery than I would have at Walmart for a much lower price. I also purchased lemon peel, dry mustard, white and yellow powdered cheese sauce, and wheat germ. Tim found some good knifes he can use for his wood carving, and Makayla chose some chocolate covered raisins for her treat. Something for everyone :) If we were settled in our own place, I could have used so many things from there for my frugal cooking and baking. In another direction from where we live, there is an Amish community that I have never been to before. There is supposed to be several stores with food, quilts, furniture, etc. I hope to venture that way next.
Speaking of quilts, I broke out my old quilt my grandma made for us when we first got married. It's still in perfect condition since I didn't use it very long before we converted to a king size bed. Tim and I were tired of waking up with very stiff backs so we decided to purchase a new bed Sunday. I have been wanting a new look on my bed, but not willing to fork out the funds for it. Since we downsized to a queen I am able to get that new look again. My grandma originally made the quilt for a full size bed, but it fits my new queen perfectly. On the downside, the main color is hunter green, which is the color I chose 8 years ago when it was "the color". I don't care for hunter green, but the quilt really gives a new look aside from the old comforter. Maybe I will post a picture soon. It almost inspires me to make my own quilt. I pieced together the top layer of a lap blanket 4 years ago. It's on my "finish projects" list once we get settled.

No comments: