Thursday, August 02, 2007

"White House" chocolate chip cookies

These are the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had. I found them in my church cookbook. I told the lady from church who submitted the recipe that they were the best cookies. She told me that she obtained the recipe from an article. This recipe was used by the chef of the White House. It was said that President Bush would go down and have milk and cookies during the night when he was stressing over an issue. Because the cookies are made with molasses, they can be left out on a plate for a few days and keep their flavor without going stale.

1 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. molasses
2 eggs, beatened
1 T. vanilla
3 c. & 3 T. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. (12 oz. bag) chocolate chips
1 c. nuts

Cream together butter, sugar, brown sugar and molasses in large mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined. Mix in dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt). Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by heaping tablespoonful on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.

I used salted butter and omitted the salt. I also did not use nuts since they are expensive. The original recipe read to bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes, but my cookies burned on the bottom at this temperature. I put these in baggies in the freezer by twos and throw into Tim's lunch box every morning, but I seem to be eating them faster than he is.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Monica, I don't know? Better than Tollhouse, you think? Well, whenever I lose a couple more pounds I will celebrate by baking up a batch of these choc chip cookies (nice way to celebrate weight loss, huh?! LOL)