Tuesday, November 13, 2007

pie crust

A few weeks ago, Makayla asked me if we could make an apple pie. I was tired, but I was excited about the fact that Makayla is interested in baking. We just so happened to have some apples sitting on the table. We had just read The Little Red Hen in school so throughout the process I was able to reinforce putting out effort to get good things...especially the parts she didn't want to do.
I found a pie crust recipe in my cook book from church. The recipe is from the same lady as the "White House" Chocolate Chip Cookies. I had never made a pie crust before because I thought it would be hard and a lot more time consuming. This recipe has a nice flaky crust. I think it's just as good as Pillsbury's crust.

4 c. flour
2 c. Crisco (I used store brand)
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 T. cider vinegar
1 T. sugar
6 T. iced water

Cut Crisco into flour, salt and baking powder with pastry blender. In separate bowl, add vinegar and sugar to egg. Stir until dissolved. Add iced water. Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients and stir together with a fork. Divide dough into 4 equal parts for 9" inch crust or 3 parts for 10" crust. Add pie filling and bake according pie directions...usually 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments: