Monday, October 27, 2008

homemade breads

Last weekend, I got inspired to try some homemade breads. I have yet to accomplish the loaf bread and it always goes bad before we eat it all. I decided to make Sweet Rolls and English Muffins from my Fannie Farmer cookbook. I love that cookbook! I was very successful. You don't bake English Muffins but fry them on a griddle. I don't have a griddle so I used the iron skillet Tim picked up at a garage sale for less than a $1. I love that skillet, too! We are looking for more skillets and a dutch oven. It did take me all Saturday morning of mixing and baking and washing, but it was worth it. We are trying to get away from the sandwich bread with preservatives, and at least buying bakery bread when we don't have the time to make our own.


3 comments:

Lori said...

Mmmm...

I had no idea English muffins were made on the stove TOP - how interesting!!! The rolls look great...fresh baked goods are so nice! The fall is the perfect season to practice, too. Do the English muffins rise? And, how long do you wait for the rolls to rise? Breads can take a while, right? Just wondering if smaller breads move the process along a little faster.

Mon said...

If I can remember the English muffin dough rises altogether in a bowel, then you divide into muffins and put on a baking sheet sprinkled with corn meal. They rise for about another 30 minutes then you fried them in oil. It takes about 15 minutes to fry the muffins so it took me a while because I could only do 4 at a time. If I had a griddle I could do twice as many. I enjoyed making the muffins more.

The rolls were a lot like the bread loaves except you divide them. They didn't run together until they were baking. They were much softer than loaf bread and take less time to bake. We used them as sandwich rolls. I would suggesting brushing melted butter over them if you were to use them as a dinner roll.

Also, if you make these planning on eating them over a weeks time, freeze what you are not going to use within a couple of days. By the end of the week ours had molded.

Mon said...

;)