Monday, September 29, 2008

bike riding

I came home from work Friday to learn that Makayla has learned to ride her bike. That fast? Finally! About two months ago Tim took her training wheels off, and since then her bike has been in the shed. I don't know why she decided to learn Friday, but it only took her between the time she got out of school and the time I got home. I was starting to worry about her because she's 7 years old. Would my child be normal if she never learned to ride a bike?
Sunday, we went for a family bike ride around town. It was great! I had been waiting for this for a while now. I have been wanting to go bike riding, but Makayla has been the hold up. As we were riding, my pedal started coming off so I stopped to see if I could fix it. I was in awe, when a complete stranger offer to fix it. He went back to his shed and brought back a wrench. I am not used to such friendliness. It is so awesome to know that there are still people like that out there. This has been also been a great reminder that I need to get back into my exercise routine. I was very hot and tired after the bike ride, but it gave me lots of energy later in the evening.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is so awesome that she learned to ride her bike. I was older too, but I don't remember exactly how old. I just remember my Dad bought me a used banana seat bike from someone and then that night he taught me how to ride it... a couple crashes later, and I was off! I was old enough that I remember how completely exilerating it was when I was able to balance it "just so" as I cruised down our street.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, and I put I would stop and help a complete stranger, but that also means if I could do it safely.